You may have noticed some Quick Response (QR) Codes and other two dimensional (matrix) bar codes cropping up in magazines, on signage, product packaging and many more places. QR codes are a great tool to help engage your customers and provide immediate access to information and content that can help build your relationship and promote your products and services.
What is a QR Code?
If you are not sure what a QR code is, they are similar to UPC barcodes, which are used to track inventory and establish pricing at the checkout. QR codes are 2 dimensional so they are able to hold a whole lot more information than a standard upc bar code does.
What do QR Codes do?
With the use of a camera enabled Smart Phone (iPhone, Android etc) a potential customer can scan the QR code and:
- be directed to your website or a special web page you create for specifically for the QR Code
- the QR code could launch phone applications such as email, Instant Messaging or SMS
- the QR code could share your contact information
What are some real world uses for QR Codes and where would I use them?
- Real Estate / Home Builders – Use QR codes on external Signage so homebuyers are able to scan the code and have immediate access to the property and home details. Home builders could use QR codes inside model homes to provide more information on construction features or materials and fixture used.
- Add a QR code to your business card to share your contact information and direct users to your website.
- Magazines – The last Sport Illustrated Swim suit edition included QR codes which offered exclusive content, and more information on the products featured in the magazine.
- Promotional Coupons – Use QR codes to offer coupons or discounts
- The possibilities are endless! I have even heard of companies creating temporary tattoos of their QR codes.
QR Code Generators
Do you want to create a QR code for your small business? Here are some great QR generators:
- http://goo.gl/ – offers QR code as a bonus
Want a QR Reader for Your phone?
Search your app store for a QR reader. I tried a couple different ones before I settled on the QR reader for iPhone from Tap Media.